The School of Law, KIIT University (Bhubaneswar, Odisha) in association with International Law Students Association (ILSA) [KIIT Chapter] announces the second edition of National Conference on International Law, to be held from 11th – 13th January, 2019.
Objective of the Conference
The objective of the conference is to provide a platform to students of various law schools(under graduate/ post-graduate students) to hone their skills of negotiation and diplomacy and put forward their views on various issues surrounding international law. It is our hope that this conference will generate interest not only in international events that are organised around the world but also develop awareness in International Relations and its dynamics.
It will also provide the students a chance to interact with students of other law schools, legal luminaries and the diaspora dedicated to International Law. It is an opportunity to observe the intricacies and nuances of diplomatic negotiations and be involved in them on a first-hand basis.
SYMPOSIUM ON INTERNATIONAL LAW
- Student Delegates will present papers on predetermined areas of International Law.
- A distinguished group of panelist will adjudge the best paper on determined parameters.
- Presentation of Best Researched Paper Award.
The following areas of International Law have been decided upon to be covered in the Symposium
- International Commercial Arbitration
- International Human Right and Terrorism
- International Trade and Investment Law
TREATY NEGOTIATION COMPETITION (TNC)
Treaties are a serious legal undertaking in international law. Once in force, treaties are legally binding on the parties and become part of international law. Their importance as a source of international law is ever increasing. The law on treaty-making process is governed by the Vienna Convention on Law of Treaties whose preamble clearly stipulates that codification of treaties promote the development of friendly relations among nations along with international peace and security.
The Treaty Negotiation Competition aims to spread awareness about the importance of the treaty-making process among the participants and encourage development of the Art of Diplomacy and Statesmanship. Unlike a Court’s order which is a win or lose situation for either of the parties, treaty negotiation is a process which is a win-win situation for all the participating nations.
The Competition will help in honing the negotiation skills of the participants at international level given the fact that they will be representing a nation on the table.The format of the Treaty Negotiation Competition is based on the workings of various bodies and agencies of United Nations as well as other independent organizations which cater to the treaty negotiation process in various global spheres.
Participants will be given a general background and the clauses which will contain the issues that are to be deliberated upon in the oral rounds. The participants will first send in their written submission in the form of Framework Agreements.They will then carefully consider each other’s contention in the oral rounds and will try to negotiate and reach to a consensus on all the issues.
The key objective of this Competition is to inculcate in participants the sense of innovation along with negotiation skills which are essential in a lawyer.
The theme of the competition is in the nature of a “RESOLVE DISPUTE AND PROMOTE COOPERATION”
- Teams will be allotted specific countries
- Teams are required to prepare framework agreements for their respective countries (Rules and other details will be provided upon selection of teams)
- Teams [comprising of 2 students] will be allowed to discuss on their proposed submissions during the oral rounds.
Submission guidelines for the TNC
For the Treaty Negotiation Competition, Interested participants are to submit a write-up within a word limit of 700 words (inclusive of footnotes). On the basis of the write-up further selections will be made for allotment of Countries which the teams are to represent in the ‘Oral Rounds’.
It is to be noted that this write-up is only for the purpose of selection/scrutiny of the teams for the Treaty Negotiation competition. It shall not be considered for the final evaluation of the aforementioned competition.
The background of the treaty and the rules for the same shall be provided later following selection. Clarifications (max. 3 per team) regarding the facts of the Treaty are to be communicated through mail.
Theme for the write-up
Interested Candidates are to submit their write-up on any current analysis on changing dimensions of public international law.
Submission guidelines for Symposium
- All papers should be sent via email to [email protected] in .doc or .docx format.
- The body of the manuscript should be in Times New Roman, size 12 in 1.5 spacing, 1 inch margin on all sides. The footnotes should be in Times New Roman, size 10 in single spacing.
- An uniform system of citation style should be followed.
- Author(s) have to send an abstract of the Paper within 300 words. Names, affiliated college, email id and contact number of the author (s) to be furnished at the end of the Abstract.
- The length of the Paper should not exceed the limit of 6000 words.
- Violation of this rule will attract deduction of marks.
- Co-authorship of maximum two authors per Paper is allowed. Co-authorship for Essay writing competition is not allowed.
- The author(s) will send a separate Cover Letter with their final papers incorporating details like name(s), affiliated college, full postal address, email id and contact number along with the title of the Paper. The Paper should not contain any biographical references of the author (s).
- All Papers must be an original work of the author(s). Plagiarism will lead to cancellation of the Paper.
- Abstract for treaty and paper need to be submitted by 14th December,2018
The conference brochure will be released soon with other relevant details.
Winners will get Cash prizes upto Rs 70,000.
Symposium: Rs.500/- (per person)
Treaty Negotiation Competition: Rs.500/- (per person)
Accommodation (including food): Rs. 1500/- (per person)
For queries related to the symposium please contact:
- Subhasmita Routray: +91 6370314138
- Pooja Sah: 9674012194
For queries related to the TNC, contact
- Pritha Adhikary: +917205699436
For any other general queries, contact:
- Pooja Sah: +91 9674012194